[l2h] Re:

JSears@agu.org JSears@agu.org
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:13 -0500 (EST)

     <LINK REL="STYLESHEET" HREF="tutorial.css"> associates a
     style file that (if set up) defines the formatting of that
     HTML file in the browser.

     In the browser, there is an option to enable style files.
     (Edit - Preferences - Advanced - Enable Style Sheets).
     The default is checked. If you uncheck this item, you
     will no longer get the 404 Not Found as it will no longer
     be looking for a .css file. (Note that if you do this,
     you will also be disabling all stylesheets in the other Web
     sites you go to.)

     Better might be to put a 'minimal' css file there - you
     might find it useful later on, rather than deleting (or
     commenting out) the LINK tag.

     Jon Sears, AGU

Subject: Author:  wessel@ewa.uio.no at PMDF
Date:    3/23/99 2:28 AM

Subject: STYLESHEET ?

Hi-
        I just found out that latex2html places several
<LINK ...> tags in each node file.  My main document
is called tutorial.html, but all the node*.html files
has the following tag:

<LINK REL="STYLESHEET" HREF="tutorial.css">

However, there is no such file, tutorial.css.
When testing on my Linux in Netscape (simply Opening File)
everything works fine, but when we installed the pages
on our webserver, Netscape tries to find the .css file and fails.
More specifically, it fails when read from our Solaris or
Linux box with netscape, but works when read on a PC with
Explorer under Win??.

I guess I dont understand what the purpose of that LINK line
is and why it references a file that is not created?
Is this a browser-specific feature?  I can easily grep
out the offending lines but there should be a better way?

To see what happens, try www.soest.hawaii.edu/gmt and scroll
down to Online GMT Services, then try the Tutorial HTML format
pages.  Obviously, you should run netscape under Linux or Solaris
to see the error.

Paul Wessel