[l2h] Bugs in latex2html-99.2alpha9.tar.gz ?

Steffen Klupsch Steffen Klupsch <steffen@vlsi.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:32:16 +0200

Hi,

I have three problems and can't update to l2h 99.2
(99.1 from March 30, 1999 did work well)

1) I noticed that prefs.pm states:
# if this is true, then the config procedure saves the absolute
pathnames
# of the external programs in the perl scripts. This is necessary if
# running in an environment where e.g. gs is not always in the PATH
# environment. On the other hand, if this option is disabled, you can
move
# the external tools around your filesystems and LaTeX2HTML will keep
# working without reconfiguration as long as the programs can be reached
# through PATH.
# The default is 1 for historical reasons. You can switch it of by
saying
# --disable-paths when using configure.
$prefs{'ABSPATHS'} = 1;

whereas the configure_script understands only
--enable-paths

Nothing critical, but might be easy to fix...

2) The configure script found a directory called tex in my path ....
this broke the whole thing up!!!
Can this be changed? Perhaps ignoring directories when searching for
programs?

I renamed the directory to proceed and

3) I called configure like this:
> ./configure --prefix=/vlsi/share/teTeX/texmf/latex2html
       --bindir=/vlsi/share/teTeX/bin/i386-linux

--with-iconpath=http://www.vlsi.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/l2hicons

./configure reports:
[...]
checking for tex... /users/steffen/tex
checking for 1... no
Warning: Will not be able to generate images due to above failure.
checking for kpsewhich... /vlsi/share/teTeX/bin/i386-linux/kpsewhich
[...]

I am a bit nervous about the search for '1' - and I'd like to be able to
generate images...

4) Oops, make check reports:
syntax error at l2hconf.pm line 691, near "= ;"
l2hconf.pm had compilation errors.

I patched the line 691 and inserted $METAFONT_DPI = 600; which
corresponds to
our standard printers resolution the switch  --with-metadpi=600 has no
effect.

I had to patch line 22/23 as well changing from
$LATEX = '';	# LaTeX
$DVIPS = '';	# dvips
$LATEX = 'latex';	# LaTeX
$DVIPS = 'dvips';	# dvips

But "make test" is still unable to generate the 2 pictures

 *** processing 2 images ***
Error (Copy): Copy "" to ".$dd$img" failed: No such file or directory
 at ../latex2html line 3828

I am confussed...

Regards, Steffen

|   Steffen Klupsch                Alexanderstr. 10, D-64283 Darmstadt |
|   TU Darmstadt - FB Inf(20) - FG Integrierte Schaltungen und Systeme |
|   Email:   steffen@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de                        |
|   URL  :   http://www.vlsi.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/staff/steffen/ |
|   Phone:   (+49)6151/16-6650                  Fax: (+49)6151/16-4810 |