[l2h] Colored Equations Problems

Michael L. Hall Michael L. Hall" <hall@galt.lanl.gov
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:41:34 -0600

Ross MOORE writes:
> > Well, this bit of LaTeX has given L2H some headaches in the past,
> > and here they are again. :-)
> >
> > First, here's how it is supposed to look:
> >
> >   http://www-xdiv.lanl.gov/XTM/hall/Spartan/1998_04_22/node12.html
> >
> > That was the result of processing with the latest version back in
> > March 1999 (99.2 developer's, that I had put some patches in, which
> > eventually made it into the floor version).
>
> Your attached code didn't cause me any grief with v99.2alpha9 ;
> have a look at:
>   http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~ross/TESTING/halltest/node1.html
>

> > Now, here's how it looks with 99.2alpha8:
> >
> >   http://www-xdiv.lanl.gov/XTM/hall/bug/node1.html
> >
> > Notice that all the terms are not properly colored, even in the text
> > at the bottom.
> >

> You have \div giving a division sign on that page (and on my page)
> when presumably you meant \grad or \nabla or such-like.

Whoops, forgot one of the defines (the divergence) from my command
style file:

\def\div{\mbox{$\vec{\nabla} \cdot$}}

> Ahh, you are using a different math-mode.
> I just redid my page with  -html_version 3.2,math  -nomath
> It still gets the colors OK, except that there are different shades of green
> in the images and non-image parts.
> Similarly the shades of magenta are different too.

Double whoops -- I forgot that I had changed to html_version 4.0. When
I change back to 3.2, and run with 99.2alpha8, I get the old (correct)
behavior.

So, what is the current thinking about the best html version to use?
I had assumed that 4.0 was the latest and greatest, but maybe it's not
ready yet?

> Maybe it is best to stick with larger images ??

I played around with sticking \htmlimage{} commands inside my
eqnarray and displaymath environments, and got really bad results
with html version 4.0 *and* with 3.2. Maybe this doesn't mix well with
colored text.

Eventually, it seemed that the best answer for me for now is to stick
with 3.2.

-Mike

Dr. Michael L. Hall               <mailto:hall@lanl.gov>
Los Alamos National Laboratory    <http://www.lanl.gov/home/Hall>
P.O. Box 1663, MS-D409            Research: computational physics, radiation
Los Alamos, NM 87545              transport, heat pipes, numerical modeling,
ph: 505-665-4312                  fluid dynamics, magnetohydrodynamics