[l2h] No HTML content, even for simple .tex files.. my stupidity?

David.Howell@wcom.com David.Howell@wcom.com
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 12:05:37 -0500

  For the last 3 weeks I've been attempting to get latex2html
functioning properly, and so far my attempts have been
unsuccessful.  Even with the most simple documents, all I get in
the HTML version are empty pages (not even matching the correct
structure).
  The generated index.html file shows a table of contents
containing one or more entries named "No Title", whether I have
\section commands or not (and if I do, their names are ignored..
i.e. \section{Introduction} still comes out as "No Title").  What am I
doing wrong?  I get the feeling I have missed some major issue, but
I can't find any specific mention of this problem in the manual, and
the archives show that this question has been asked previously,
but there are no public responses.
  I'll go ahead and include a specific example:
test.tex:
*********
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\section{Introduction}
This is the introduction.  Ideally, it would show up in the ToC with
the name Introduction, and when the link was opened this
paragraph would appear on the new page.  Neither of these things
happens.
\section{Conclusion}
Also shows up as No Title in the ToC.  What gives?
\end{document}
******
I execute the following commands:
latex test.tex
latex test.tex
latex2html test.tex

Interestingly, this is my output from l2h:
******
This is LaTeX2HTML Version 98.1p1 release (March 2nd, 1998)
originally by Nikos Drakos
 Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.

Revised and extended by:
 Marcus Hennecke, Ross Moore, Herb Swan and others
...producing markup for HTML version 3.2

 *** processing declarations ***
OPENING /export/home/nebula/dwh/tex/test/test/tex

 *** `texexpand' done ***

 *** database open ***

Reading ...
++
@

Translating ...
0/4:top of test: for test.html

 *** translating preamble ***

 *** preamble done ***
;;

1/4:tableofcontents:"tableofcontents" for node1.html
;;

2/4:section:"section" for node2.html
;;

3/4:section:"section" for node3.html
;;

4/4:section:"sectionstar" for node4.html
;;

Doing section links ........
Done.

the .dvi file shows a nice, simple, and correctly interpreted latex
document.  the index.html file produced shows 4 "No Title" links,
each of which produces a blank page. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
David Howell