[l2h] Re: latex2html: Frames implemented for HTML 4.0

John Turner turner@blueskystudios.com (John Turner)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:03:26 -0400 (EDT)

[sorry Ross, you'll get a duplicate, because I sent the orig to the
 old list address...]

RM> Building on earlier work by Martin Wilck and myself,
RM> the  frames.perl  package has now been updated for HTML 4.0
RM> and LaTeX2HTML v98.2 .
RM>
RM> For some examples of what you'll get as a default, inspect:
RM>
RM> 	http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/TURNER/report/
RM> and
RM> 	http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/l2h/docs/manual/
RM>
RM> Please comment on the functionality, the colour-scheme,
RM> and any other ideas for what should be supported regarding frames.
RM> In particular, if you have an idea which you've seen implemented
RM> somewhere; describe it and provide a URL where I can obtain the
RM> relevant HTML coding.

Not sure if I ever commented on this or not.  Glad to see my example
being put to such nice use.  :)

Anyway, I finally downloaded 99.1 and gave it a try.  Although this is
awesome, I guess I was expecting slightly different behavior.
Specifically, why does clicking on a section in the contents frame
eliminate the contents frame?

What I mean is:

o go to http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/TURNER/report/
o click on the Contents button (not the link, the button)
o click on Bar in the left (contents) frame

At least on Netscape 4.51 on Irix, although there are still frames at
the top and bottom for navigation and footnotes, the Contents frame
goes away, and you have to click the Contents navigation button again
to get it back.  At least on my pathetic machine, the time to re-draw
is significant.

The behavior I was expecting was what happens on Zawinski's bookmarks
page:

  http://www.jwz.org/bookmarks.html

Click on any of the things in the left frame and the right frame just
updates.

Does that make sense?

I love the way it's looking, though...

-John Turner