[l2h] ALT tags in equations

Russ Lenth Russ Lenth <rlenth@stat.uiowa.edu>
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:34:59 -0500

Bruce R Miller wrote:
> I have to agree with Ross here; in fact, it's arguably a browser Bug!
>
> While it certainly can be useful to specify or alter the ALT text that is
> attached to images generated by l2h, the ALT attribute of HTML was _never_
> intended to be a `tool tip'!
>
> It seemed Cool the first time I saw them popping up.  But then I thought about
> how to write ALT text that served BOTH the original purpose of ALTernative text
> to be used in place of an image, AND worked as a tool-tip... Ugh!

I think I agree with Bruce and Ross on this, too; but one must keep in
mind the prime reason that most of us use latex2html -- to produce
materials for OTHER people to read.

>From that perspective, our concern is then how these materials look to
others -- no matter how their browser is configured.  And it is
immaterial whether or not the software developers or users have made
wise choices.

Also, I actually don't think that latex2html is very good for (or
intended for) producing web pages for text-only browsers.  So given the
way that a lot of browser software uses the ALT attribute, my preference
would be to avoid the 10-mile-wide tool tips -- and that's why I still
would like more options for controlling them.

Russ
--
Russell V. Lenth -- Department of Statistics & Actuarial Science
The University of Iowa -- Iowa City, IA 52242  USA