[Indic-dev] Updates

Radhakrishnan CV indic-dev@tug.org
28 Oct 2002 09:14:20 +0530

Here are some development updates from Trivandrum:

1. Rajkumar has been successfull in writing down the Omega Translation
   Process (OTP) for Malayalam script. Preliminary test runs have
   given expected results. Still fine tuning remains to be done, he is
   getting assistance from the Omega developers list, especially
   Roozbeh and Behdad of FarsiTeX are extremely helpful. I hope that
   Rajkumar will be able to make the release before the end of this
   week.

2. AJ Alex has written all the map files for the newly acquired free
   font in Malayalam viz., Keli. He has written a beautiful
   documentation as well, created a 30 page test document with Keli. I
   have seen the pdf which is really a remarkable effort and at par
   with any good document with fine typographical quality. The bug
   fixed version, I expect, could be released before this weekend.

3. sarovar.org, the free software/open source development site from
   Linuxense is now being worked on. The setup work might entail a
   period of three weeks at the latest. You can just visit

      http://sarovar.org

   where you can see the welcome page now.

4. The discussions about the first TeX based microenterprise is going
   on in an extremely promising fashion, which means, we will be able
   to setup the pilot project running within two months time. I guess,
   along with this, we might be able to setup a training center for
   TeX and other free/open software in Techopark where people around
   the country can come and get trained.

5. Can anyone suggest ways of getting funds for building the
   infrastructure for this training center? Of course, TUGIndia will
   put in whatever is left from the TUG2002, but that is not
   sufficient at all. We might need at least 6 to 8 lakh rupees to
   setup a facility for training 15 to 20 people at a time.

Comments welcome.

--
Radhakrishnan