[Indic-dev] First impression of "devnag"

H S Rai indic-dev@tug.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:19:33 +0530 (IST)

Today at 4:38am -0000 Duvvuri Venu Gopal wrote:

>   > other language  i.e then  producing output in  Punjabi, Gujrati,
>   > Marathi, should be matter of changing environment. Is it so?
>
>   At present  it is not  the case. Hindi (i.e., Devnag  of Velthuse)
>   follows a different approach  to inputcharacters whereas TeluguTeX
>   and KannadaTex and BangTex (??) follows another approach.

Uniformity in  approach will  help mankind (  and may  be computerkind
also ) a lot.

>   Devnag follows a =  a and aa = aa or A. TeluguTeX  follows Sh = Sh
>   whereas Devnag  follows "s (??).  This type of differences  are at
>   least for  10 - 15  characters. That is  why I earlier  pleaded to
>   follow  one method  for  all Indian  languages. But no  discussion
>   followed on this issue.

There may not be a large number of users.

>   Likewise Devnag's approach is different. First  the input is to be
>   processed by a PREPROCESSOR. Whereas TeluguTeX and KannadaTeX does
>   not require this, you can directly process the *.tex file with TeX
>   or LaTeX.
>
>   I  wanted  to work  a  full  writeup  on the  differences  between
>   TeluguTeX and Devnag.

All the best for your effort. It may be a base paper for co-ordination
effort and for future direction as well.

--
H.S.Rai

"The greatest tragedy in life is people who have sight but no vision."
                                                          Helen Keller