[Indic-dev] Re: [Tugindia] First impression of "devnag"

H S Rai indic-dev@tug.org
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:22:20 +0530 (IST)

Yesterday at 9:47pm +0530 Amitabh Trehan wrote:

>    Thats completely true.

and then unforunate also :-(

>   In  fact,  my  paper  at  the  TUG  conference  highlighted  this
>   need. Here  we've  experimented  with three  packages  -  devnag,
>   Sanskrit  and ArabTeX.  devnag is  most  stable of  the lost,  it
>   seems, but packages clash with each other.

I  also find  similar problem  with other  packages. That mean,  there
should  strict guidelines  to write  packages and  developers need  to
follows  them also. (Let  us shift  it to  Indic-dev list,  if further
discussion in needed, I am posting it there also)

>   > thing to produce right output  in one language (say Hindi). Then
>   > just  changing environment  should  produce  correct output  for
>   > other language  i.e then  producing output in  Punjabi, Gujrati,
>   > Marathi, should be matter of changing environment. Is it so?
>
>    Can't say. But Anshuman Pandey  is maintaining all these packages
>   (devnag,  gurmukhi etc  etc.)  and Itrans  also  (I believe).   It
>   should not  be too  difficult to  follow the  same transliteration
>   scheme  for  all languages  with  minor  adjustments  for 1  or  2
>   different characters. In fact,  I am working on  a common phonetic
>   based encoding system for all indic scripts.

All the best

--
H.S.Rai

You work very hard.  Don't try to think as well.