[Indic-dev] Progress of development work.

Alex A.J. indic-dev@tug.org
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:34:29 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: Amitabh Trehan <amitabhtex@yahoo.com>

>   Often somebody is publishing a book using say,
> Pagemaker using some (often  postscript) font (say,
> surya) and we ask them to switch to LaTeX. But the
> person wants to use that particular font in these documents.

This is indeed a very high priority job.

> We should be able to give a method, say,
> using which we can maybe make that font, input method
> etc. available in say, half an hour (or maybe minutes,
> if some things can be automated).

In microseconds, actually. We could provide all the
necessary files (tfm, fd and map) except the real pfb/ttf.
If you dig into the TeXlive CD you will find support files
for almost all font families by major providers like
adobe, monotype etc. Persons having the font files could
place them into the texmf tree and start using them
instantly. All the magic is done by LaTeX's PSNFSS
scheme. But I'll follow up in a separate mail.

Alex.