[Indic-dev] Progress of dev... -- Malayalam-TeX

Alex A.J. indic-dev@tug.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 23:31:35 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: H S Rai <hsraidce@iitr.ernet.in>

> What is the progress of  various development projects on which various
> members are working?

Ah well, I'm slowly recovering from a severe case of
metafont-addiction. TeX was demanding just too much from
me so I took a break from all development work for 3 weeks.

Malayalam-TeX is almost ready for distribution. The only thing
remaining is the technical documentation. I am trying hard
to release it before Christmas.

Now Malayalam-TeX has matured enough for professional
typesetting. All LaTeX commands are working fine.
Only a few things need to be fine-tuned. Also it has got an
excellent font containing 600+ glyphs (spread across 6 pfb files)
incorporating the entire traditional Malayalam script.

> We don't get  any good requirement from  users of TeX to  add in "wish
> list", so I guess  our wish list is empty at  the moment.

Wish list will materialize only if a basic package is available for
a particular language and people start experimenting. Currently, such
packages exist only for a few indic scripts. It will be helpful
if we have a list of the available packages (with details like
do they have a preprocessor, what transcription scheme is used etc.).
I've heard that there are packages for Telugu and Kannada,
and seen a beautiful Tamil metafont as well. Does anybody
on the list use them?

I think devnag is the most used one so u guys have to start the
wish list. It would be nice if you post some example docs.

> Do we have a list of various ongoing projects with developer's name?

This is most necessary.

Regards.
Alex.