[fptex] TeXsetup problem

Franco Fritschij ffritschij at Catena.nl
Tue May 4 14:26:59 CEST 2004

TeX users,

I encounterd the following problems when installing TeXLive 8.0 on a
computer on which  I was not "administrator".
I was "poweruser" on that machine. I used the current fptex version.
The machine was running XP pro.

First I tried to install TeXlive for all users, but at the end TeXsetup
was not able to add the environment variables due to insuffienct
rights.

The second try, was to install for the current user only by removing in
TeXsetup for all users. TeXsetup creates now the environment variables
for the
current user. TeXsetup is now succesful and I am able to run latex. But
when I try to do Maintenance - add TeX package, I get the error message
that I should install TeX first.
The reason is that in the registry the settings are placed in the hive
HKEY_current_user and not in HKEY_Local_Machine. This is the right
position because I did the install as current user.
TeXsetup however is only looking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
When I add the same registry settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE add TeX
package works.
Are the TeXLive registry settings used  by more programs then
TeXsetup?

Is there anybody who has experienced the same problem and knows an
easier (safer) solution then changing the registry?

Best regards,

Franco