[fptex] ConTeXt perl scripts failing on Win98

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Thu Jan 15 13:33:25 CET 2004

> I finally got the replacement disk for a Win98(SE) system that died
> testing ConTeXT on TL2003 pre-releases.  I've put on the fptex 0.7
> from CTAN (ftp:ctan.cms.math.ca) with files dated Jan 6th, and am back
> to the problems I had in Sept. with texexec.pl failing to find
> texexec.ini.

> If I hack texexec.pl where it loops thru the path components to set
> $kpsewhich="kpsewhich" just before the call to found_ini_file("ini"),
> then texexec.ini is found, but there are problems with other scripts
> (texfont.pl).  If memory serves, changing the path to use "\" instead
> of "/" also worked.

> TL2003 ConTeXt scripts worked for me on Win95, but that had too many
> other problems.  Unfortunately, it looks like Win98 is going to be
> around for a while, especially in the grad student community.

If they worked on win95, they should work on win98. There is no
difference between both from the point of view of these scripts.

I just did a full texlive 2003 install on a  bare win98 using the 'inst'
cdrom. It just worked.
[ Karl: are you reading this, the failure that has been reported to you
was using the inst cdrom, isn't it ? ]

I then updated all the packages. It also worked. And now I have tried to
texexec some very  basic  .tex  file  and it  also  worked (texutil  ran
fine).

So I wonder what's happening on your machine, but on a bare windows, it
should just plain run. Any specific things to report about the software
installed ?

Fabrice