[fptex] Xemacs - fpTeX problems

Fred Dashiell fdashiell at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 00:38:36 CET 2004

Hello,

I am using  fpTeX  which I downloaded about Dec. 15, with the included
Xemacs, on a fully updated Windows 2000 machine.

I started a new tex document, compiling it with the Command-->LaTeX menu
selection.  At first things went fine.  But recently, it began to take
errors when using Xemacs menu Command-->LaTeX, even though it compiles
just fine when I start an Xemacs shell and execute "latex master.tex" at
the prompt.

That is, I can compile without errors from the command prompt, but it
takes errors from emacs menu selection.  The error message is not helpful:

! Emergency stop.
<*> .tex

No pages of output.
Transcript written on .log.

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Tue Jan 13 15:33:03

Also, sometimes Xemacs automatically removes the second line of my file,
which looks like

%% master.tex

What is causing this?  Where are the Xemacs customizations documented?

Thanks,

... Fred Dashiell