[fptex] installing a new font (Windows 2000)

Fred Dashiell fdashiell at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 17:53:55 CET 2004

Hello,

I downloaded a font from CTAN which is not contained in the fpTeX
distribution --- mathabx --- for my W2K system.   Per instructions in
"The TeX Live Guide", sec. 7.2, "Adding packages to your installation",
it suggests using the program at Start-->Programs-->TeXLive-->Add TeX
package.  In particular, it says:

    "If you want to add files that are not provided by the TeX Live (or
fpTeX) distribution, it is recommended to put them in the $TEXMFLOCAL
directory. "

Nothing more is said.  This implies that I should be able to use the
subject program (Add TeX package) to do this.  I placed the files in
$TEXMFLOCAL as directed.  The absence of further instructions implies
that none are necessary --- all I have to do is run the program and fill
in the pathnames properly.  I spent 2 hours in the unsuccessful pursuit
of this goal.

I have since heard from one group that the program is not meant to
install packages not included in the distribution!!

Is that true?  Shouldn't your documentation have warned me of that?  Is
is possible to add a sentence or two saying what to do, or including a
reference to appropriate instructions?

What further steps do I need to take?

Thanks.

... Fred Dashiell