[fptex] fptex 0.7

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Sat Oct 25 00:14:00 CEST 2003

> - The TeXLive bugs page says to replace the TeXSetup.exe file and use
> Add Package to get support/imagemagick (btw, there is no "support";
> just "xemtex"), and you can also get fixed ghostscript and gsview.  My
> question is: if a user doesn't want imagemagick or tex4ht, and gets
> gsview and ghostscript independently, is this step necessary?

Not at all. Either you should install regular gsview and ghostscript
separately or install my versions.

> good idea to replace TeXSetup.exe in any case.  (BTW, I noticed that
> even with "internet only" checked, unless you change the local depot
> box to C:\TPM from D:\TPM, it won't work-- can't read the tpm

Yes, I have seen that and still need to fix it.

> files. Also, doing the Add Package thing crashed my computer. I tried
> again with antivirus disabled and it was ok. )

Crash is no good :-( Any clue to find what went wrong ?

> - Is there an advantage to getting gsview and ghostscript from the
> fptex site? Have you made changes to make them work better?  It's a

Only a few ones. These versions are gs7.07 patched with Paul Vojta's
fixes (see his gsftopk page) and gsview 4.4.

> bit disconcerting not to have gsview on the Start menu, and also both
> WinEdt and Winshell don't find it unless changes are made to those
> programs-- they both expect gsview32.exe in ghostgum/gsview/. (The
> change is easy in WinShell, not so easy in WinEdt.) If getting them
> from the official sites is ok, do you have any recommendations about
> the best versions?

The latest ones ?

> - What process/program sets the various TEMP variables? I wanted to
> check for unwanted spaces, and I looked at autoexec.bat (Win98) and
> didn't see any TEMP variables set. I haven't done the install on my
> WinXP machine yet, but I will later.

Unless TEMP is defined, kpathsea will set one at run time, using
GetTempDirectory(). Under XP it will return
c:\documents and settings\user\Local Settings\Temp

> - What is the difference between fptex and the TL2003 install CD? Does
> TL2003 include more "extras"? If they are the same, would it be easier
> for people to install fptex?

No, they should be exactly the same, except for gsview, because the
license prevents to put it on TL2003.

It will be easier to install once I will switch to windows installer,
but I won't come back on the things that are packaged. It is too
difficult to keep track of changes in stuff you are not responsible for
(like WinEdt or WinShell).

Best,

Fabrice