[fptex] fptex 0.7 - is \write18 working properly?

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Oct 15 14:15:45 CEST 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 05:56:47PM +0800, LUK ShunTim wrote:

> [...]
> Enabling it in config.ps still won't work. Same error. My knowledge of
> TeX is limited but it appears that the error is caused by tex trying to
> create the file test.bb so that the BoundingBox information becomes
> available when the dvi file is being created.

The error was:
! LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in test.bb (no BoundingBox).

You have to provide the file test.bb, so that the graphics driver
dvips.def is informed about the dimensions of the graphics.

Of course, the graphics driver dvips.def could be extended to call
an external program to generate the .bb file on the fly, if it is
missing. Then this call would be made by TeX and the \write18
feature has to be enabled. (I would prefer the more powerful
"make" for this kind of job, then .bb files are updated
automatically, if the corresponding .jpg file changes.)

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>