[fptex] fpTeX 0.7, (included) ghostscript, and Gsview -- problems

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Wed Oct 8 23:31:44 CEST 2003

> Dear fpTeX-list members, I only recently discovered the beauty and
> power of LaTeX, and herewith I would like to draw your attention to a
> problem I doscovered lately.

> I have a fpTeX 0.7 (generic full + xemtex support tools) installation
> (under Windows 2000 Pro) and noticed that it contains Ghostscript
> 7.07. Since I started to use intensively the EPS graphics file-format
> I needed an previewer and installed Gsview 4.4, but when I try to open
> a (E)PS or PDF file, the application (Gsview) chrashes.

Yes, I have seen that. I will try to fix it on the gs side, and I will
provide a gsview that doesn't crash (I compiled my one one, so I didn't
hit the problem until it was too late for texlive 2003).

> To overcome this problem I installed Ghostscript 8.11 and this problem
> disappeared, but another one became apparent when I tried to convert a
> LaTeX file into HTML using the TeX4ht translator.

This is the annoying part : it seems ImageMagick/convert.exe is not able
to cope with files that have spaces in their path name :-( I'm still
looking for a good fix to this one. In the mean time, you can overcome
the problem by :

mkdir c:/tmp
set TEXMFTEMP=c:/tmp

and that should do it.