[fptex] xemacs

Rolf Dieterich Rolf.Dieterich at gmx.de
Fri Nov 7 14:01:33 CET 2003

I also had this problem on a Windows NT 4.0 SP 6a notebook where shell32.dll
has a version number 4.0.

The "shell enhancements" (with shell32.dll of version 4.71) are installed
with IE 4.0. They are NOT installed with IE 5.5 oder IE 6. Maybe it's possible
to customize your IE installtion with the IEAK (Internet Explorer
Administration Kit) to incorporate this update.

Sometimes you read "this application/DLL function requires IE 4.0 or above"
(even in the MSDN Library). If this means it requires the shell enhancements
then it's still not sufficient if you have NT 4.0 with the newest IE version
but have never ever installed IE 4.0 before!

xemacs doesn't seem to be programmed robust enough in this regard. It could
at least check the version of shell32.dll or it could be "feature-based"
programmed (if SHEmptyRecycleBinA or other "new" DLL functions are not available
then another approach for doing the task has to be used).

Rolf