[fptex] problem with setup program installing fptex

Alan A. Dunwell dunwell at jila.colorado.edu
Tue Apr 22 14:43:34 CEST 2003

While running the installation/setup for fptex with downloaded .zip files I
received the following:
The file `language.sw.dat' has been added to `language.dat'
The file `language.us' has been added to `language.dat'
The file `N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX06\texmf-var\tex\generic\config\language.dat' has
been built and written.
Warning: Found this conflicting program :
N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX05\BIN\WIN32\tex.exe
Warning: Found this conflicting program : N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX05\BIN\WIN32\mf.exe
Warning: you have conflicting programs in your PATH. Please, consider editing
your PATH to avoid running the wrong program.
Setting temporarily PATH =
N:\Win32\TeX\FPTEX06;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\ED;C:\DOS;C:\DO
S\UTIL;C:\VXIPNP\WIN95BIN;N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX05\BIN\WIN32;C:\PROGRA~1\SSHCOM~1\SS
HSEC~1
Setting temporarily TEXMFCNF = N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX06\texmf-var\web2c
Setting temporarily TEXMFMAIN = N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX06\texmf
Running N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX06

Fatal error:
Cannot run the external command : N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX06
Error: Configuration error flagged!
-----------------------------------

Clearly I need to modify my path so that it doesn't see the existing 0.5
version, but it is not clear what I do next to continue the setup procedure.
There did not seem to be any instructions on the web site and the help within
the setup program told me to see the installer guide that was not yet installed
or available. Notice that even after it set temporary variables it then tried
to run
   Running N:\WIN32\TEX\FPTEX06
which is a subdirectory not a program. So I'm not sure if there is an issue
with the setup program or how to proceed.

Please advise,
Alan Dunwell

!Reply to:
! Alan A. Dunwell
! JILA Software Manager
! JILA - CB440
! Univ. of Colorado, Boulder,Co. 80309
! E-Mail - dunwell at jila.colorado.edu
! Voice  -(303)492-5308   FAX -(303)492-5235