[fptex] environment variables

ALAN A DUNWELL DUNWELL@jila.colorado.edu
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:24:16 -0700

Date sent:      	Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:10:53 +0100 (MET)
From:           	Lars Madsen <daleif@imf.au.dk>
Subject:        	[fptex] environment variables
To:             	fptex@tug.org

> I've been writing a small installation guide about TeXLive 6 for some
> students I had, giving a series of beginners lectures about LaTeX.
>
> (I've uning WinXP myself)
>
> I've run into one problem regarding the LaTeX installation it self.
>
> Where shold I put my own packages so that LaTeX can find it.
>
> I know that when I put it under the ../TeXLive/texmf dir then the rebuild
> og the Ls-R filename database is enough in order for  LaTeX to find it.
>
> But couldn't I just put it somewhere else?
>
> In the TeXLive guide it talks about the TEXMFLOCAL environment variable
> but that doesn't work.
>
> On our Linux (and UNIX) system we should just set the TEXINPUTS variable.
> With the kpsewhich -expand-path $TEXINPUTS I was able to get to know the
> contents og TEXINPUTS (quite big)
>
> isn't there a way to get let say mydir included in TEXINPUTS?

Place your personal files or non-texlive files in a separate branch at some
high level, I used
   .../texmf/texmflocal/....
where the structure below texmflocal mirrors the TDS of the main texmf branch.
In the texmf.cnf file define your variable TEXMFLOCAL to point to this new
branch. Then include TEXMFLOCAL in your TEXINPUTS path(s) if it isn't there
already. Of course you will need to do another texhash or otherwise rebuild
your ls-R database.

Alan D.