[fptex] Windvi prints upside down

Philip Hirschhorn psh@math.mit.edu
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:14:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> * Philip Hirschhorn <psh@math.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > I've searched through google's usenet archive and found a couple of
> > people with this problem.  Alas, the explanation (on the windows
> > programming groups) seems to be that windows expects bitmaps to be
> > stored bottom row first, rather than top row first, and if you have
> > a bitmap stored top row first it gets printed as I'm seeing it
> > printed.
>
> The real problem is that Windows allows both, but that some printer
> drivers do not honour the upside-down ones.
>
> I'll fix this for TeXLive 7 hopefully.

Thanks *very* much; I'm not very familiar with windows internals, so
I'm making a lot of guesses in this discussion.

One weird point, though, is that it all worked fine for a year or
more, and then suddenly changed for no apparent reason.  I assume that
it's something internal to windows that got changed, rather than
internal to windvi, but my colleague is a very nontechnical user and
he wasn't intentionally mucking about in anything internal to
windows.  He also has another of the same printer at home, and he
tells me that the one at home continues to print correctly; it's only
the one in his office whose brain is not controlled by space aliens.

Again: Thanks much,
Phil