[fptex] where are the Belleek fonts?

Guy Worthington guyw@multiline.com.au
27 Jan 2002 17:04:59 +0800

"Luis A Escobar" <luis@lsu.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to to get math fonts that match well with the Times text
> fonts...[lots of stuff snipped and the rest taken out of
> context]...I was told a solution was to use Belleek fonts but when I
> tried I got an error.

It's just not that simple!

STEP 1: DOWNLOAD BELLEEK FONTS

Run the TeXLive Setup wizard (via the "Add TeX Package" icon).  Under
the "tex-fontsextra" branch you'll find the leaf "belleek"; check its
box.

STEP2: DOWNLOAD MATHTIME .tfm FILES

While you're still connected to the internet, Google search using the
keyword "mtsy.tfm".  Within the first couple of links returned by
Google, you should find a teTeX TDS, with a directory containing the
binary files:

    mtex.tfm, mtmi.tfm, mtsy.tfm, rmtmi.tfm

Be careful how you download these files, they're binaries, so you may
need to override Internet Explorer's default behaviour (which on my
system is to save them as text).

Store these files in the appropriate branch of your TDS.  As a hint,
the full path to my .tfm files are

    c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\fonts\tfm\yandy\mathtime\mtex.tfm
    c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\fonts\tfm\yandy\mathtime\mtmi.tfm
    c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\fonts\tfm\yandy\mathtime\mtsy.tfm
    c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\fonts\tfm\yandy\mathtime\rmtmi.tfm

You can now disconnect from the internet.

STEP3: CREATE .fd FILES

Copy the following code snippet into a file called

    c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\tex\latex\belleek\my1mtt.fd

%% This isn't file `my1mtt.fd',
%% It's a variant, that operates with the belleek fonts
%%
\ProvidesFile{my1mtt.fd}
 [2002/01/14
 Mathtime Encoding 1
  (FMi)]
\DeclareFontFamily{MY1}{mtt}{\skewchar\font45}
\DeclareFontShape{MY1}{mtt}{m}{it}{<->mtmi}{}
\endinput
%% End of file `my1mtt.fd'.

Copy the following code snippet into a file called

    c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\tex\latex\belleek\my2mtt.fd

%% This isn't file `my2mtt.fd',
%% It's a variant that runs with the belleek fonts
%%
\ProvidesFile{my2mtt.fd}
 [2002/01/14
 Mathtime Encoding 2
  (FMi)]
\DeclareFontFamily{MY2}{mtt}{}
\DeclareFontShape{MY2}{mtt}{m}{n}{<->mtsy}{}
\endinput
%% End of file `my2mtt.fd'.

Copy the following code snippet into a file called

    c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\tex\latex\belleek\my3mtt.fd

%% This isn't file `my3mtt.fd',
%% It's a variant that runs with the belleek fonts
%%
\ProvidesFile{my3mtt.fd}
 [2002/01/14
 Mathtime Encoding 3
  (FMi)]
\DeclareFontFamily{MY3}{mtt}{}
\DeclareFontShape{MY3}{mtt}{m}{n}{<->mtex}{}
\endinput
%% End of file `my3mtt.fd'.

STEP 4. CREATE belleek.map FILE

Copy the following code snippet into a file called

   c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\dvips\config\belleek.map

mtex  BLEX  "TeXMathExtensionEncoding ReEncodeFont"  <blex.pfb  <texmext.enc
mtsy  BLSY  <blsy.pfb
rmtmi  RBLMI  <rblmi.pfb

STEP 5. CONFIGURE dvips FOR USE WITH belleek FONTS

Copy the file

   c:\Local\TeX\texmf\dvips\config\config.ps

and store it in the destination

   c:\Local\TeX\texmf-local\dvips\config\config.ps

Open the file c:\localtexmf\dvips\config\config.ps and append the line

   p +belleek.map

in the same area where the other .map files have been added

STEP 6. CONFIGURE pdflatex FOR USE WITH belleek FONTS

Copy the file

   c:\TeX\Local\texmf\pdftex\config\pdftex.cfg

and store it in the destination

   c:\TeX\Local\texmf-local\pdftex\config\pdftex.cfg

Open the file c:\localtexmf\pdftex\config\pdftex.cfg and append the
line

   map +belleek.map

in the appropriate area.

STEP 7. UPDATE FILENAME DATABASE

Click on the icon "Rebuild ls-R filenames databases

STEP 8. TEST INSTALLATION

Compile up the following code:

% file TryMathTime.tex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathtime}
\begin{document}
This is the body $0123456789$.

More stuff: $\pi r^{2} + {\cal A} > \sum$.

$\Gamma^{3} \Delta$

$$\prod a_b \rightarrow \aleph$$

\end{document}

STEP 9: CURSE ME FOR FORGETTING A STEP AND WRITE BACK WITH ANOTHER
TEST.LOG.