[fptex] running fpTeX in a window

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 08:47:24 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, John Frampton wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>

> > Is it possible that the properties for the console window specify
> > full-screen mode?  If so, you should be able to change that by opening
> > a DOS box, clicking on the Properties button (or right-click on the
> > window border, then choose "Properties"), and checking the option for
> > "windowed" display.  (You can't get to the Properties button in
> > full-screen mode, so press Alt-Enter first, to switch to windowed
> > mode.)
>

> Thank you very much.  This fixed the problem and the fpTeX/WinEdt/Windvi
> combo is running smoothly now.
>
> As it turns out, the problem was simply that I didn't know how to work
> Windows well enough.  Sometime when the Editor section of the fpTeX
> manual get written, there should be some remarks about setting Windows
> up to run fpTeX in a window.

Make that the WinEdt manual. This is a WinEdt issue: it does not apply,
say, to using fptex from NTemacs.  All the fptex executables (bar windvi)
are Windows console applications, analogous to Unix programs. They expect
to run in a terminal-like environment, and only use a `DOS' window if the
caller does not provide the expected environment.

I always run fptex from a shell (tcsh) or from NTemacs so never see a `DOS'
window.