[fptex] 0.5 version

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:28:53 +0200

* Brian D Ripley <Prof> writes:

> Fabrice, Could you clarify how this relates to the version on
> TeXLive6?  In particular, having upgraded most of our Windows
> systems to use that, is there any benefit in moving (up?) to the 0.5
> release?

I hope that I will have time next week or shortly after to update the
web pages. The main differences between fptex-0.5 and texlive-6 are :

- some bug fixes, see http://www.tug.org/texlive/bugs.html

- newer versions of some packages, nothing really outstanding anyway,

- bugs removed from texsetup.exe, but you can and should use this
current version of texsetup.exe with your texlive-6 cdrom (give your
cdrom path as the local source directory on the 2nd page of the wizard)

- some bonus (this one is a guess game ;-) ) : there is a new
collection / package that will be announced officially at EuroTeX next
week (not by me !)

Something that will need to be tested more  extensively is the ability
to  update packages  by running  `TeXSetup --maintenance'  . Using the
remote repository  and connecting through the  Internet, you should be
presented with the  same packages tree,  but the packages out of  date
displayed in red and the ones not installed in green. Upgrading your
installation should be easier.

Fabrice