[fptex] Path separator "\\" doesn't work

LUK ShunTim cestluk@polyu.edu.hk
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:16:37 +0800

Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> * LUK ShunTim <cestluk@polyu.edu.hk> writes:
>
> > However, the documentation "3.3 Path separators" says "\\" should
> > work.  "/" as path separators *does* work though.  Is this a bug?
>
> Well not exactly a bug. You can use '/' or '\\' whenever you pass some
> path to the OS (texmf.cnf for example), unfortunately, in your
> case, you pass your path to TeX, and TeX is unable to cope with a
> few things like :
> - \\ in paths
> - spaces : they are allowed in the directory part of your path, but
> not in the filename part

Thanks for the clarification, Fabrice.
My reading of the documentation is the other way round ;-)

Then that seems to imply there is not way to ask tex to process a source
file with a Win32/DOS/UNC path name? (I ran into the above problem when
trying to call latex from a python script.)

Regards,
ST