[fptex] pk generation

Bob Howlett bobh@maths.usyd.edu.au
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:35:29 +1000

I believe that the way things are organized at present, if windvi
finds that a pk file is missing then mktexpk comes in to operation,
and if the font in question is appears in a map file mentioned
in config.ps then gsftopk is asked to generate the font, otherwise
metafont is asked to generate the font. I do not understand why
gsftopk is given precedence over metafont like this, and it seems
to be the source of some problems if one upgrades ghostscript.
I am using ghostscript 7.00, and currently I sometimes find that
gsftopk fails. I think I attempted to fix this by upgrading everything
else; however, an easier solution for me is to temporarily
comment out the +p <mapfile> lines in config.ps so that metafont
is called instead of gsftopk.
Since metafont is and will remain constant, would it not be better
to make sure that metafont is called first? If no metafont source
is found, then call gsftopk. This would seem to be more logical
and avoid the same difficulties occurring again the next time
ghostscript gets upgraded.

Bob Howlett