[fptex] Re: TL6 and NT Emacs configuration bug

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
02 Jul 2001 07:10:50 +0200

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001  "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
[...]

> if we are talking about TeXLive, there is no space for a live emacs. I
> agree, it does run off a CD easily

The question of space is actually the question of priorities and the
assumptions about the intended user of TL6.

>  > Anyway, the versions of TL6 I tested didn't actually install NT Emacs,
>  > the "installation" consisted just in unpacking and copying files. The
>  > real installation should end with running `addpm".
>
> not actually needed, these days, surely?

`addpm' (add to program manager) is the simplest way to create NT
Emacs icon and the entry in the program menu. It is no longer needed
for NT Emacs proper.

It seems however that it still needed for using NT Emacs with gnuserv;
at least it was suggested at the NT Emacs list some time ago.

>  > An attempt to install the version of 1.06.2001 on Polish Windows NT 4
>  > was a failure. Unfortunately, I cannot be more constructive. This was
>  > a quick test on a computer which I access only occasionally and I
>  > don't remember details. My general impression was that the environment
>  > variables were not set correctly during installation.
>
> lets hope the current version works...

Last week the current version on CTAN was that of 1.06.2001 :-)

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,