[fptex] Re: TL6 and NT Emacs configuration bug

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
01 Jul 2001 09:52:03 +0200

On 30 Jun 2001  Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:

> * Janusz S Bie <jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl> writes:
>
> > On 12 Feb 2001 jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:
> >> When I try to start NT Emacs (either from menu or by executing
> >> runemacs), it complains about missing gnuserv, which actually seems
> >> to be really missing in distribution.
>
> > This NT Emacs configuration bug, reported by me 4 months ago and
> > corrected at BachoTeX in May, is still present in the TeXLive 6
> > image of 1 June 2001.
>
> Well, gnuserv.exe and friends are in the bin/ directory of NTEmacs,
> but not for that long. However, I wonder :
>
> - will ntemacs be able to find gnuserv.exe if it is located in the
> same directory as the emacs.exe file, providing that this directory is
> not on the PATH ?
> - is it wise to add the ntemacs bin directory to the user PATH, just
> for gnuclient(w) when the PATH size is limited for w9x ?

In my opinion Gnuserv is not a crucial Emacs component. I don't mind
including it on TeXLive, but if there are problems installing NT Emacs
with Gnuserv, then the installation of the latter can be left to the
user.

On 30 Jun 2001  Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:

[...]

> Then this is bug (ihmo) ... I can't fully automate the installation of
> NTEmacs, this is not the object of TeXSetup.exe. And it is a pity,
> because emacs can't be used as a standalone editor for example when
> running tex off the cdrom. It is much more simpler to use WinShell for
> such a task.

I am not sure I understand. Do you want to say that you cannot run
Emacs directly from CD? That is false, as I demonstrated at the
BachoTeX conference which you attended.

Anyway, the versions of TL6 I tested didn't actually install NT Emacs,
the "installation" consisted just in unpacking and copying files. The
real installation should end with running `addpm".

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001  "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

[...]

> but in practice its just me. if you have found errors, please tell me
> as soon as possible! we want to close TL6 next week.

An attempt to install the version of 1.06.2001 on Polish Windows NT 4
was a failure. Unfortunately, I cannot be more constructive. This was
a quick test on a computer which I access only occasionally and I
don't remember details. My general impression was that the environment
variables were not set correctly during installation.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,