[fptex] Headers and footers problems

Gerald.Jean@spgdag.ca Gerald.Jean@spgdag.ca
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:02:17 -0400

Hello folks,

I realize this may not be the right list for this kind of question, if it's
not, could someone kindly give me directions to the proper list, thanks.
Here is the problem:

I have the following in the preamble of a LaTeX document:

\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}[2000/01/01]
\documentclass[10pt, a4paper, twoside]{report}
\usepackage[english, french]{babel}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}      % police EC qui permet les caractères accentués.
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\usepackage{lscape}
\usepackage{S}
\usepackage{courier}          % try a postscript font
\usepackage{longtable}        % allows multipage tables.
\usepackage{latexsym}         % access to some math. symbols.
\usepackage{fancybox}         % make boxes
\usepackage{a4wide}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\usepackage[scanall]{psfrag}

\pagestyle{fancy}                         % used for running headers, footers (rhead)
\addtolength{\headwidth}{\marginparsep}   % Makes header overhang outside
\addtolength{\headwidth}{0.75\marginparwidth} %  margin.
\renewcommand{\chaptermark}[1]{\markboth{\chaptername\ \thechapter.\ #1}{}}
\renewcommand{\sectionmark}[1]{\markright{\thesection\ #1}}
\fancyhf{}
\fancyhead[LE,RO]{\bfseries\thepage}
\fancyhead[LO]{\bfseries\rightmark}
\fancyhead[RE]{\bfseries\leftmark}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.5pt} % thickness of line between body and header
\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}   % thickness of line between body and footer
\addtolength{\headheight}{0.5pt}     % espace pour le filet?

\fancypagestyle{plain}{
  \fancyhead{}
  \renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}
}

\begin{document}

a lot of stuff

\end{document}

The document compiles fine, but when I print it the headers and footers seems messed up, not exactly that, but even and odd pages
have different amount of blank space at the top, i.e. different top and bottom margins???  It's like the whole page is printed a little
higher on all the even page???  I tried everything I could think of, including not using fancyhdr, to no avail.  I then thought that the
problem could be with the printer so I opened up a Word document and printed it "both sides", it came out fine.  Can anyone figure out
what is going on???

Thanks,

Gérald Jean
Analyste-conseil (statistiques), Actuariat
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: gerald.jean@spgdag.ca

"In God we trust all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

\addtolength{\textheight}{-1.25cm} % make it print better on US letter paper