ps2pdf question

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:58:34 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 luis@lsu.edu wrote:

>  I am running fptex-0.4-beta1 and GSview 2.9
>
>  I generated a postscript file with
>  Type1 fonts using
>  dvips -Pcmz filename.ps filename.dvi
>
>  When I use the Distiller to create a .pdf
>  I get a .pdf with Type1 fonts that looks sharp
>  on the screen for my class.
>
>  I want to get away from the Distiller
>  and use ps2pdf for converting the .ps to .pdf
>
>  How should I made the call to ps2pdf such
>  the the .pdf uses Type1 fonts?

You can't. You have to tell dvips to use them.  I do so by a -Ppfb flag
and a config.pfb containing

p +bsr.map

but the fine details depends on how recent and how out-of-the-box your
fptex is.

You can also get dvips to omit the fonts and ps2pdf to include them, but
then you will need to write a map file.