PDFLaTeX as in fpTeX 3.

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:35:15 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Massimo Pinto wrote:

> I would like to use PDFLaTeX "efficiently". That means I would like to
> produce good quality PDF docs from LaTeX2e docs but I don't know how, in
> practice. What style files are available, just for example.

Find out about hyperref (on CRAN) first: it is probably all you need.
To see what it can do, nose around my Web site, where all the PDF
docs (including mini-books) are done with hyperref+pdflatex.

> Could anyone please help me for a good start? I have tried to include EPS
> pictures but they did not appear in the output PDF.

You need to look at the pdftex list and its FAQ.
www.tug.org/applications/pdftex has a Perl script epstopdf that does a good
job of making pdf figs out of eps ones, and with gs6.0 finally works well.
(Previously you needed Distiller to go a good job if the figures contained
fonts.)

You also need pdftex.def from that site, even if it is apparently older
than the current LaTeX graphicx package one.

> All I know, and is not much, is a style file that once I saw it was used in
> this way
> \usepackage[screen,sidebar,article]{pdfscreen}

That's for on-screen pdf.