True Type Fonts

david.waller@westsig.co.uk david.waller@westsig.co.uk
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:53:13 +0000

Han,
     Thanks for the offer and information. I have successfully installed the ttf
files into pdflatex now
using the guide another problem I was having was caused by the "feature" in
Acrobat 3.
Changing to Acrobat 4 cleared the problem.
Again thanks for the offer and information.
Dave Waller

> Anyway I now have a series of TFM's and AFM's to use. These were put in the
> correct directories and I changed the names to resemble the details in the
> fontname document (My two sets became fanb8r etc and fnrb8a etc.) Next I
> copied bookman.sty and modified it for my new fonts and saved it under a
> different name.  I then realised I still had a big problem in that I still
> needed to generate fd files and so on. In the end I used fontinst, vptovf and
> pltotf. I also had to write my own omsfnr.fd file which didn't get created for
> some reason.
>
> At last pdflatex ran without any errors. However when I view the pdf file it
> reports that it cannot find the embedded file and it subsitutes everything
> with *'s.  Has anybody any clues or is there a clear document (or book)
> somewhere detailing all the steps required to go from a true type font family
> to a final pdf. Up to now I have always used standard postscript fonts without
> any problems in pdflatex.

An introduction to using ttf with tex is available at
http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm

Using ttf with pdftex and ttf2afm is very similar to using postscript fonts. The
only extra step is creating afm from ttf. In most of cases it's enough to say
i.e.:

ttf2afm -o monotype.afm -e 8a.enc monotype.ttf

If the encoding is not given, all chars in the result afm will be mapped to -1
(notdef). Such an afm is still valid, however one have to say explicitly which
encoding should be used for the `raw font'. Using afm2tfm, it means that you
must use of of the `-P' or `-T' options.

All sounds somewhat complicated, because the way tex uses fonts is *really*
complicated. Notice that most of the issues are not ttf-specific, but is rather
a matter how to generate tex tfm/vf from an afm.

Or you can send me all the stuff and I will do the job for you.

Thanh

This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening System
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp