dvips output - Network printing

ALAN A DUNWELL DUNWELL@jila.colorado.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:25:31 -0700 (MST)

Many thanks Eli, you win the cookie! The DVIPSRC= worked when pointed
to my network printer. Thanks also for the gentle reminder to look at
the documentation. I had of course done that first, but it was a case
for me of the "man page syndrome". I needed to know what I was
actually looking for before I could find it and it made sense. Sorry
for taking bandwidth on this.

I did some further experimentation and my final procedure for
network printing is

- edit texmf.cnf to include the variable statement
   DVIPSRC = C:\TeX\dvips\config\config.ps
- on the local machine create the above path and copy the default
config.ps file to that location.
- edit the local config.ps file so that the "o" line is
   o lpt3
NOTE: if you only use one printer it can just be hardwired
here with something like   o \\netserver\printername This still
leaves the option open to others for alternatives since this is a
local file. If you do this ignore the next step.

- Then edit one of your Windows postscript printer definitions and
add a captured port LPT3: and direct it to the desired printer. In my
case I used
   LPT3:  \\jilant\publichp
which is an HP 4SiMx postscript device. You can verify this
connection from a DOS window with the NET USE command which will echo
back the ports in use.

WinEdit also picks up this capture when it runs dvips.

Thanks to all,
Alan