dvips output error revisited...

ALAN A DUNWELL DUNWELL@jila.colorado.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:47:09 -0700 (MST)

Thanks Rolf. I can see where these will work for individual
machines, I will probably end up with some form of this.

I was not specific enough in my last post as to my environment. I
have installed ftTeX onto an NT file server machine so that the
files are shared by all win/95/98/2000/whatever workstations. They
just modify their path to see the bin area. So they all end up using
the same config.ps. Some may want to print to local printers, mostly
HP laserjet types, or more often to network printer queues, all
postscript printers. However different folks may want to go to
different printers or queues, so I can't hardwire that in config.ps.

What I had hoped might be an option would be some environment var or
some global setting in config.ps that would allow dvips to
hand off to whatever is defined as the default windows printer.
This is sort of what happens in UNIX when we just hand off to lpr
and the system knows what that means. Of course fpTeX is all really
happening in the DOS level, so maybe that can't work. I am having
users run through WinEdit for the most part, so maybe some option
there in the Menu Setup Options. For the time being I've just
hardwired config.ps to go to a file by commenting out the "o" line.

Thanks,
Alan Dunwell