mktexpk

Bob Howlett bobh@maths.usyd.edu.au
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:40:30 +1000

Hi,

A long time ago, in reply to a question by Heiko Oberdeik,
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek writes:
>  > However mktexpk calls gsftopk for cmr10 in spite of the existence of
>  > cmr10.mf. This is a disadvantage, because Metafont takes into account
> this happens if cmr10 is found in a map file. if a font is not found
> there, MF is used
>
> sebastian

I would have thought that Metafont ought to be the first choice, since
the
type 1 versions of the standard TeX fonts are copied from the metafont
produced versions -- although I am not claiming to be able to detect any
difference. But anyway, to test this I deleted cmr10.720pk and commented
out the line in bsr.map referring to cmr10, and ran windvi on some
file that needed the font. Metafont did not run: the font was not made.
After uncommenting the line in bsr.map, gsftopk made the font.

Have I got things set up wrongly, or is the mechanism for running
metafont not working?

Bob Howlett