windvi 0.66 pre1

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 01:30:13 +0200

This is the long awaited release of windvi. But given that I'm quite
in a rush with my work, it is not yet completed. So here are quickly
the news :

- the W9x crash condition for 0.65 has been removed (tested !)
- but I have changed so many other things that I have not yet tested
under W9x ... don't worry, I'll do more testing during the week-end in
case of problems
- new features :
  * redisplay should be faster
  * better look and feel (?)
  * Ghostscript 5.50 should be detected through the registry (no PATH
    nor GS_LIB needed anymore)
  * support of .bmp, .wmf and .emf file (very lightly tested)
        use this :

        \DeclareGraphicsRule{.emf}{bmp}{}{}
        \begin{document}
          \begin{figure}[ht]
            \centering\includegraphics[width=6cm,height=6cm]{coffee_bean.bmp}
            \caption{Some \texttt{bmp} file.}
          \end{figure}
          \begin{figure}[ht]
             \centering\includegraphics[width=79.34mm,height=40mm]{world.emf}
             \caption{Some \texttt{emf} file.}
          \end{figure}
        \end{document}

  * support of graphical transformations under *NT only*
        either use `windvi -xform' or check the appropriate mark in
        the Options->View menu
  * printing through the generic printer driver
        beware to set the right mode / bdpi
        windvi -mfmode ljfour -p 600 foo.dvi
        I have been able to print the first pages of wtest.dvi on my
        inkjet printer (Epson stylus 750) with everything rendered
        (ps, etc...). It is tested under NT and W2K only.
  * fixed lots of crash conditions, there should not be any more
    windvi processes hanging aroung
  * documentation has not been updated, neither have been version
    numbers (sorry, just uploaded this stuff by modem)

This is only a preview of the 0.66 . Lots of things are not yet tested
enough or finished. Other things that are on the way :
- src special support that will allow inverse search, and I have the patches
for enabling TeX to add them automagically
- t1 and ttf font support
- 2up mode
- better printer handling (use of dvips, centralize printer configuration)

ftp://ftp.ese-metz.fr/pub/tex/win32-beta/windvi-0.66-pre1.zip

Thanks in advance for your reports, tell me  what you like or dislike,
and I apologize if anything will go wrong (again) under w9x...

--
Fabrice