A couple of comments on fptex 0.3 (0.3e)

John Hillas j.hillas@auckland.ac.nz
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:09:10 +1200

I recently installed 0.3e (Is this the same as the final
version 0.3.  One is directed to 0.3e for the zip files
suggesting that it may be.  If not my comments may be
obsolete.)

There is a minor error in the (very nice) documentation
files (html versions).  Some of the links to other
documentation in section 6 don't work properly.

The links to the Kpathsea, Web2c, TDS, Dvips, and Windvi pages
all add an extra "/html" to the path.  We're currently in

C:/TeX/texmf/doc/html/fptex/fptexse6.html#QQ1-9-20

and so

../html/kpathsea/kpathsea_toc.html

will take us up to

C:/TeX/texmf/doc/html/

and then to

C:/TeX/texmf/doc/html/html/kpathsea/kpathsea_toc.html

which is not what's wanted.

The second comment is probably more for teTeX, but I use
the fp version so I'll make it here.

In config.ps there's a part that says

  % Partially download Type 1 fonts by default.  Only reason not to do
  % this is if you encounter bugs.  (Please report them to
  % @email{tex-k@@mail.tug.org} if you do.)

My understanding is that this is a bit out of date.  If
one is generating a postscript file intending to distill
it to pdf then one wants to turn off the partial download
of type 1 fonts.  This may be a bug, but if so it's in
Acrobat, not, I think what Thomas meant.

Further, I think that this suggests that commenting out
the "j" will turn of the partial downloading, while it
seems that partial downloading is now the default for
dvips and that to turn it off one needs to explicitly
say "j0".

If this sounds right to the fptex readers I'll send this
to Thomas.

John