kpathsea problem

Fabrice Popineau fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:23:22 +0200

> Does it work on NT? That is surprising. My experience is that DOS and
> DOS-alikes (Win3,Win9x,WinNT) will not stumble on double backslashes
> in paths, *unless* they appear right after the colon. So this will not
work:
>   dir c:\\
> but
>   dir c:\winnt\\fonts
> will work. I guess this is just one of those features...

You are right. But what is even more amazing is that
GetFileAttributes()
returns that c://texmf is a directory under winnt
and an error under win9x ...

Now, I'm at the point where I have applied a fix to kpathsea.dll
that apparently fixed the problem at my site, but not at some
other one (Staszeck). I wonder what we will find next ...

Moreover, I should add that it  is pretty impossible to make
kpathsea (in its current state) not to generate such double slashes.
I have just added some code to remove those // at some
sensible point. But I can't guarantee (yet) that it is sufficient.

Fabrice