windvi 0.65 (BETA !)

Fabrice POPINEAU Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
20 Jul 1999 16:13:03 +0200

I have put a new version of windvi for testing purposes only:

ftp://ftp.ese-metz.fr/pub/tex/win32-beta/windvi65.exe

I have changed so many things in it that I don't expect it to be
something to release soon. Major changes :

- changing paper size during the session should be ok now, but there
might remain some background redrawing glitches,

- printing through the unified printer driver (ie: normal printing)
should be ok, even with ps inclusions or color. But you must provide
the right information to windvi :

windvi -mfmode esptypro -p 360 foo.dvi

for printing on an Epson Stylus Pro at 360dpi. For the moment, this
can be changed only when lauching windvi. Using the dialog box to
change these parameters won't work, unless you restart windvi.

Should you fail to provide the right information, the page will be
zoomed in or out, or fonts will fail to be found or ...
This will be corrected and a choice of sensible modes/dpi will be
offered and remembered through the configuration file.

- the progress bars during printing behave strangely.

- new option: '-xform' to allow transformations under Windows NT. That
means that previous geometric transformations that were not handled by
windvi, will now be honoured. You can rotate boxes and rules. Beware:
it is working on the display, but behaves strangely on the
printer. Use '+xform' to reset the option.

- new option: '-inmemory' will build the page in memory instead of
directly on screen. Not yet fully debugged, experimental feature.
Use '+inmemory' to reset this option.

- I have suppressed the use of libwww.dll to handle HTeX features.
Expect bugs.

I had a hard time at making printing working. Now it seems that the
idea of using the standard printer driver was not so silly, at least
if you do not try to print thousands of ps pictures. There is still
certainly room for optimization and clean up.

More features to come :

- printing through dvips from the menu
- ttf and type1 fonts (already being worked on)
- bmp, wmf and other pictures handled natively.

Thanks for reporting any bugs/success/failures ...

and have nice holydays for those who are concerned :-)

--
Fabrice POPINEAU