mktexpk can't find my fonts anymore!

Eli Zaretskii eliz@is.elta.co.il
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:37:11 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Jody Klymak wrote:

> 4) run windiv (since I am unsure exactly how windvi calls mktexpk)
> This makes  c:/TeX/texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/cmsy10.657pk among other
> fonts.
>
> 5) check c:/TeX/texmf/ls-R:  The fonts are now listed with
> individual entries...

Okay.  This part works like expected.

So the analysis so far is that ls-R *is* updated, but Kpathsea doesn't
look into it, or doesn't pay attention to what it says.

Next, please try to rename c:/TeX/texmf/ls-R and run
"kpsewhich cmsy10.657pk".  Did it help?

Also, please tell what does the following produce:

      kpsewhich --show-path=.pk

> 7) ran "kpsewhich cmsy10.657pk"  Still returns an empty string.
>
> Now perhaps I am simply confused and this is all ok.  But it seems
> like if the font exists, windvi should not try and make it.

You are right expecting that.  But since kpsewhich doesn't find the
font, something is preventing Kpathsea (and windvi) from seeing that
the font exists in the first place.  The challenge is to find out what
is the reason for that.