next version

Erik Frambach E.H.M.Frambach@eco.rug.nl
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 17:18:29 +0100

> > What should be the status of those directories :
> > c:\TeX\man        nroff man pages
> > c:\TeX\info	  info documentation
> > c:\TeX\lib	  stubs for dlls
> > c:\TeX\include    include files for dlls
> >
> > I wonder if these are needed by anyone (or very few people). I'm not
> > found of using man/info under the win32 environment, even if possible
> > (emacs is great for those things). Given the fact that those files
> > compile in ps/pdf/html, maybe we can remove them ? About the
> > lib/include files, unless someone wants to use the dlls in their own
> > code, they are useless.
>
> I prefer to read the man pages (where not grossly out of date) in the
> original format on-screen (using groff/less), rather than as ps/pdf/html
> (launching any of those viewers is slow when one already has several
> processes in memory, and they are not particularly readable on a small
> laptop screen).  Also, I am more used to reading info in Emacs than any
> other way.  So please make them available: I would be happy if like the
> Cygwin distribution they were a separate zip file.

I believe that 99% or more of the Windows users haven't the faintest idea
what man pages are. If you were brought up with Unix, you will want to
keep them, just like you will keep using Emacs. But the Windows world
is different. Not a single native Windows user uses Emacs or any Unix
style program. Therefore I would say: go for PDF only!
System managers will know where to get the man pages, etc. anyway.

Erik Frambach