fptex-0.3-beta5

Christian Jvnsson FOA 72 chj@lin.foa.se
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 09:09:23 +0200

Hello Fabrice,

Thanks for your efforts in making a win32 variant of web2c/tetex working.

One question, is it possible to have your win32 variant co-installed (nice
word, right?) with other tetex-0.9 binary variants?

What I mean is this. I have a Solaris-2.7 box, say shine, where I've done this:

  mkdir -p /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
  gzip -dc teTeX-texmf-0.9.tar.gz | (umask 0; cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf; tar xvf -)

Now, suppose I install tetex-0.9 compiled for solaris-2.7 as this:

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/teTeX
  make world >& world.log

which means that the binaries are installed under

shine:/usr/local/teTeX/sparc-sun-solaris2.7

using nfs mount syntax (or something like it).

Then, I make an other binary, say for linux, and install it using

  make distclean
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/teTeX
  make all >& all.log
  make install-exec >& install-exec.log

where the /usr/local/teTeX is network mounted to the linux boxes, using
perhaps nfs. This means that the *binaries* are under
shine:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i586-pc-linux-gnu, right?

Would it be possible to install your win32 variant, well only the binaries, on
the perhaps smb mounted file system? I.e., the under the equivalent of the
/usr/local/teTeX/ dir on the solaris box? I.e.,

shine:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/win32

and that dir is smb exported using a samba server on shine.

Hm, perhaps a messy stated question, but I hope you get the point. It's not
easy getting the brain back after an Easter holiday with skiing, fishing, and
running snow-mobiles...

Cheers,

/ChJ