Bug in ps2pk

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:05:33 +0200 (MET DST)

I found a bug in ps2pk---inproper parsing of legal PostScript code.
Consider the following encoding file starting, e.g:
   /Enc-foo[
with nonletter in the name and without space before `['
then ps2pk cannot accept such encoding file.

/Enc-foo[  notation _is legal_ according strictly defined PostScript
language, accepted by dvips (it just copies such code into resulting
PS file) and by all PS interpreters.
Even numbers and `_' in enc vector name should be accepted.
Gsftopk also works well with such files.

I tested the problem with some ps2pk implementations:
MikTeX1.11 (win32) -- do not accept anymore presented notation.
web2c (Linux)      -- `-' in the name is OK, complains when space is missing
                          before `['
web2c-fptex(win32) -- as on Linux: -_1-9 are OK, missing space is error

I hope that making parsers following PostScript language specification
(Red Book, page 27) is not so havy. In my practise I found so many examples,
e.g. different reaction of programs on CRLF or LF newlines in fonts etc.

Greetings for all implementors (and testers),
**StaW

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl