windvi 0.54

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:34:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > 6. since man pages are hardly accepted in M$ Win world, may I suggest
> >    to distribute just .txt files.
>
> Wouldn't it be better if you could read man pages with a program
> that would be supplied with TeXLive?

It would be welcome, as well having installed also gawk (minimal need)
and perl (maximal).
Perhaps the problem is that such programs are rather independent from TeX
stuff and already present on Unix but hardly rare on win32.

> It shouldn't be hard to write a
> man clone (as a matter of fact, I did just that, and my clone is free,
> so you could just compile it with a Win32 compiler).

I saw some man clones, but if you try to read unformated man pages
you need moreover groff etc. I tried to gather all (the huge) stuff
and making it work but I failed ;-)
Can your man read such pages? Can binaries be available -- I have no
win32 compiler.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl