windvi 0.54

Fabrice POPINEAU popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr
23 Sep 1998 09:38:22 +0200

"Staszek Wawrykiewicz" <StaW@gust.org.pl> writes:

> Ooops! I think, windvi has some problems with gs5.50 (just released).

I will try it. Didn't know about 5.50 until now :-)

> > ..... There is a directory called examples where you
> > can find a wtest.tex examples of what should work.
>
> It cannot be found in windvi54.zip.

corrected.

> Well, may I suggest some needs/corrections/todo/wish_list?
> All are gathered after my crowded personal mailbox from Polish TeX users. ;-)
>
> 1. I do not understand so deep packaging share/ etc.

Ok. Done. Hope it is better.

> 2. windvi.html should always go into texmf/doc/windvi/ -- for consistence.
>    kpatsea.pdf and other pdf and ps files can be left in upper doc/
>    or also moved to texmf/doc/

Generic documentation is in doc/, windvi files are in
texmf/doc/windvi/ .

> 3. mktex.exe found on TeXlive3 and again in windvi54 -- it is for what??

This is the stub. All mktex*.exe were used to be 'linked' to it. I
have get rid off the hack to do links and the full distribution
contains one big mktex.dll and many small mktex*.exe. However, in
order to avoid problems with dll versions, windvi (and pdftex, etex)
standalone are statically compiled. So a little bit bigger.

> 4. texconfig is missing on TeXlive3 and on win32 distribution.

That's my next task.

> 5. please do not forget the proper metapost in the new distribution.

It should be fine in fptex-0.1 . Please report any problem.

> 6. since man pages are hardly accepted in M$ Win world, may I suggest
>    to distribute just .txt files.

All the manpages are given as .ps files. There is  (should be ?) a
xdvi.ps in doc/texmf/windvi/ .

> 7. documentation -- it is the great problem and I think Fabrice should
>    have somebody's help.

Definitely yes ! Klaus Hoeppner has  already offered some instructions
to install the whole thing. Thanks to him and ... I'm really sorry I
haven't yet found the time to work on that part.

> By the way, may I ask to sign somehow the newer versions of windvi.html
> (always March 1988 at heading) and again: some strange letters displays
> such a text:
>  et S_PATH=c:\gstools\gs5.10\gswin32c.exe
>  et S_LIB=c:\gstools\gs5.10;c:\gstools\fonts
> etc.

Hmmm... This is *a bug* with tex4ht processing verbatim
environments. I will report it.

> Thank you Fabrice for a great work.

You are welcome. However still some work to do...

Fabrice