Colors

Taco Hoekwater Taco.Hoekwater@wkap.nl
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:33:16 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:41:59 +0200 Fabrice POPINEAU
<popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr> wrote:

> Thanks to all your comments ... I have a bunch of work to do :-)
> I have found a few bugs (namely ps, colors).
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that there is little hope to support color on
> 256 colors devices ?
>
> Currently, anti-aliasing uses 16 colors per couple (background,
> foreground). The only way to achieve color support for 8bits devices
> would be :
>
> - maintain a palette of allocated colors for the current page
> - no antialiasing, or only 4-bits antialiasing

Perhaps you could offer the user a choice between antialiasing and
colors.

Or you could perhaps use a very rude rounding approach for the
colors, so that Pink might eventually come out Red. (Thus supporting
only 8 or so separate colors and mapping everything else to those).
I would not be very happy with this as a user, but it is a trifle
better than no color at all.

--
Taco Hoekwater                                        texhelp@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --