[Fontinst] \resetslot in multislot.sty would be nice to have working

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Thu Aug 8 12:35:16 CEST 2013

Reuben Thomas skrev 2013-08-07 00.16:
> On 6 August 2013 10:15, Lars Hellström<Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net>wrote:
>
>> In my experience, more people have a working diff utility than have a
>> working patch utility,
>
> It's the second decade of the 21st century. If you don't have a working
> patch, you probably have a weird old system. (Unless you know otherwise?
> Seriously, which reasonably up-to-date system doesn't have a working patch?)

Anything from Microsoft? (Yes it sucks, but a lot of people use it.)

>> Not that it matters much, considering that I have above established that
>> multislot.sty actually will suffice for what you want to do.
>>

> Apologies if I'm being stupid, but I believe you've demonstrated the
> opposite: that I can't get what I want either with or without
> multislot.sty, and therefore I have to patch t1.etx. (I was assuming what I
> saw in the .vpl was being translated to the .vf, but you've shown it
> wasn't.)

Well, you need to state all the \ligature commands you want for a slot
within the same \setslot...\endsetslot block somewhere, but there aren't all
that many \ligature commands in t1.etx anyway (I count 15 in total), so
repeating a few of the standard ones isn't much of a burden. (I strongly
suspect it is fewer lines of code than there would be overhead in a patch
file.) Moreover, stating all the \ligature commands for a slot in the same
place is likely to enhance readability.

So unless you have requirements you haven't stated yet, that go beyond
making a font with a specific set of ligatures, it should be clear that you
can get what you want using multislot.sty as it is.