[Fontinst] reglyphing and kerns

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 9 22:00:48 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 18:56 +0100, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:
> I am working with an enormous font containing several latin and greek
> alphabets. To install a particular alphabet, I'm using reglyphing. For
> example:
>  	\renameglyph{A}{some-other-A}

> I'm totally fed up and frustrated. (This is not the fault of anybody so
> please don't think I am suggesting for one second otherwise. I'm simply
> explaining why I'm asking for advice.) I'd appreciate any advice anyone
> can give me for dealing with an enormous font which contains almost (but
> not quite) all the symbols and letters needed for a maths setup as well
> as many text characters.

I’ve had similar issues with a reglyphed font. My solution was to
construct a table of about 1400 kern pairs, rm-kerns.mtx and then use
them when installing the font.

\installfont{frer8t}{text-rm2rm-8r,rm-kerns,newlatin}{t1}{T1}{fre}{m}{n}{<-16>}

rm-kerns.mtx contains lines like

\setkern{space}{W}{20}
\setkern{space}{V}{20}
\setkern{dollar}{five}{-20}

I also use a few \setleftrightkerning commands to handle ligatures.

--
JDL