[Fontinst] How to use the Zallman font

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Fri Jul 3 12:57:54 CEST 2009

Markus Feldmann skrev:
> Hi All,
>
> i am trying to write an document for my roleplay DSA4.
> Therefore i want to use a font like the zallman,
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/zallman/
>
> i downloaded all zallman files at,
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/initials/
> the files are named,
> Zallman.afm
> Zallman.fd
> Zallman.map
> Zallman.pfb
> Zallman.tex
> Zallman.tfm
> config.Zallman

Hmm... doesn't look like fontinst
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/utilities/fontinst/) has been
involved in this, so technically you're off-topic on this list. The
comp.text.tex newsgroup might be more appropriate.

> i saved all these file in one directory and opened the file
> <Zallman.tex> with emacs, but when i create a dvi file
> the font does not look like in the picture,
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/zallman/zallman.png
>
> What to do ?

For anyone to figure this out, you need to provide more information:
log file from (La)TeX (it might have reported not finding the font),
ditto log from dvips (if you used it), log from Ghostscript (ditto)
when rendering the PS, etc.

A guess would be that the .dvi comes out OK, but the tools later in the
chain don't know what to with the Zallman font; this is what
Zallman.map and config.Zallman are for. My knowledge of those matters
is rather outdated, so I doubt I can help you any further. (As I recall
it, kpathsea-based TeX distros have a rather rigid view of this, where
some tool is used to rebuild the master map file for fonts whenever a
new font is installed, but it was years since I last had to deal with it.)

Lehman's fontinstallationguide.pdf might be of help to you, however.

> Further on i only want to apply some words to this font and
> not the whole document, how to do that ?

That's a rather basic question regarding font selection in LaTeX. Apart
from books and such, you might want to read the fntguide.tex document
that comes with LaTeX.